Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Trip to Guruvayoor




Guruvayoor is the holy city in Kerala, India. It's the place where many devotee's of Lord Krishna come with their humble prayers. We reached there on 8th Aug 2009 and checked in to a nice hotel. The temple is open from Morning 3.30am - 12.00 pm and opens again in the evening at 4.30pm goes on until 12.00am. We decided to visit the temple in the evening and set to explore the city. We went to Mammiyoor Shiva Temple. Unfortunately I was not able to enter the temple because I was not in the attire as per temple instructions . Ladies needs to wear Saree and Men need to wear "Mundu" only, showing their bare cheast. Only my parents could enter and they were very excited after the 'darshan'. Lesson to be learnt when visiting temples in Kerala is that ladies have to wear Saree's else sometime it will turn out to be bad luck



Then we went to "Ana Thavalam" the Elephant Location. Its a first time that I witnessed 58 elephants at one time. I was not allowed to take the camera. So, the sad sight remains with me. The reason I call it sad is because I had to pass by these 'worlds largest animal' who had huge iron chains tied to one leg at the front and one leg at the back. They are in no position to even turn from the position that they were standing. I felt each elephant was telling me to help him , to remove the horrible chains. It was only pain that I found in their eyes. I really would not want to go to that place again. Keralites are known to be elephant lover's but the way this wild animal is tamed is very cruel.



Finally at 4.30pm we stood in the queue to get the sight of the Lord. It took 2 hrs for us to reach the door of the deity and pay are respects. I felt touched by the view.

No comments: